The Bible Is As a Sword


"The sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God." Ephesians 6:17 

" The Word of God . . . sharper than any two-edged sword." Hebrews 4:12 

"The sword of the Lord, and of Gideon." Judges 7:18 

"The sword . . . There is none like that: give it me." 1 Samuel 21:9 

"My sword shall be bathed in heaven." Isaiah 34:5 

In this militant metaphor we have the promise of conquest, victory, and dominion. The Bible as our sword is the weapon we use as soldiers against spiritual foes. It was thus that Jesus used the Scriptures in His contest with Satan in the wilderness temptation. In three different ways he assailed Jesus, but all He did was to give the enemy three thrusts of the sword. The three, " It is written, " were sufficient to defeat Satan (Matthew 4:4, 7, 10). The Word as a sharp sword in the hand of good soldiers of Jesus Christ can accomplish mighty victories (2 Timothy 2:15). This is the sword which pierces the conscience and leads to an awakening. It is a sharp two-edged sword, meaning, it can cut both ways. If the Bible does not save, then it slays. If it fails to convert, then it condemns (Acts 2:37, 41: 7:51, 54, 57). Finally, this sword bathed in heaven, signifying its divine origin, will smite with an eternal stroke all those who persist in their rejection of the Word's authority. " 

Herbert Lockyer, from his book, All the Promises of the Bible



Photo by StockSnap on Pixabay

Most Popular Posts

"And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground." Genesis 4:2

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:37-40

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Romans 1:16-17

Other posts from the blog

"Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said." Matthew 28:5-6

"And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee." Psalm 39:7

"The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool." Psalm 110:1

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Romans 8:37

"Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God." Psalm 90:2

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

"They hated me without a cause." John 15:25

"It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." 2 Timothy 2:19

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34

_____________________

I'm a Christian saved by God, by His Sovereign grace. I want to encourage all to read, to hear, to believe, and to feed upon the only Words in all the world that are truly spirit and life, living and active; to know the One True God: God the Father, His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit; Who has graciously given us the Holy Scriptures
“All Scripture is God-breathed..."
2 Timothy 3:16–17; cf., John 3:31-36; John 6:63; John 14:26; John 17:3, 17; Romans 1:1-6, 16-17; 1 Corinthians 2:1-16; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14; 2 Peter 1:20–21; Hebrews 4:12-13. As for the commentaries I post and refer to; with much gratitude, as they have done for me, it is my hope and prayer that they serve to edify all who read them.

Shalom, beccaj
_____________________