"Truly, truly, I tell you, Jesus declared, before Abraham was born, I am!" John 8:58

"What Does John 8:58 Mean


Truly, truly, I tell you,

• The double “Truly” underscores that what follows is absolute, non-negotiable truth (John 3:3; 5:24).

• Jesus speaks with the certainty that His words carry the same authority as written Scripture (Isaiah 55:11).

• Listeners are invited to receive His statement as settled revelation from God.

Jesus declared,

• John highlights a public, purposeful proclamation (John 7:28; 18:20).

• Like the crowds noted in Matthew 7:28-29, we hear One whose authority rises above all human teachers.

• To accept or reject this declaration is to accept or reject God Himself (Luke 10:16).

before Abraham was born,

• Abraham, the patriarch of faith (Genesis 12:1-3), lived nearly two thousand years earlier, yet Jesus places Himself prior to him.

• John 1:1-2 and Colossians 1:17 affirm His personal, eternal pre-existence: “He is before all things.”

• Claiming a timeline that precedes creation itself is territory reserved for God alone (Psalm 90:2).

I am!

• Jesus adopts the divine name revealed at the burning bush: “I AM has sent me to you” (Exodus 3:14).

• The crowd’s immediate move to stone Him (John 8:59) shows they understood this as a claim to deity—blasphemy under Leviticus 24:16.

• Revelation 1:8 echoes the same voice: “I am the Alpha and the Omega… the Almighty.”

• Jesus is identifying Himself as the eternal, self-existent Lord, not merely a prophet but God in flesh.

summary

John 8:58 is Jesus’ clear, literal claim to be the eternal “I AM.” He speaks with divine authority, asserts existence before Abraham, and uses God’s own covenant name. Taken at face value, the verse declares that Jesus Christ is Yahweh, the everlasting God who entered history for our salvation."

From Bible Hub on John 8 verse 58. Please read more here


Most Popular Posts

"And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground." Genesis 4:2

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:37-40

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Romans 1:16-17

Other posts from the blog

"Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said." Matthew 28:5-6

"And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee." Psalm 39:7

"The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool." Psalm 110:1

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Romans 8:37

"Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God." Psalm 90:2

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

"They hated me without a cause." John 15:25

"It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." 2 Timothy 2:19

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." John 13:34

_____________________

I'm a Christian saved by God, by His Sovereign grace. I want to encourage all to read, to hear, to believe, and to feed upon the only Words in all the world that are truly spirit and life, living and active; to know the One True God: God the Father, His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit; Who has graciously given us the Holy Scriptures
“All Scripture is God-breathed..."
2 Timothy 3:16–17; cf., John 3:31-36; John 6:63; John 14:26; John 17:3, 17; Romans 1:1-6, 16-17; 1 Corinthians 2:1-16; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14; 2 Peter 1:20–21; Hebrews 4:12-13. As for the commentaries I post and refer to; with much gratitude, as they have done for me, it is my hope and prayer that they serve to edify all who read them.

Shalom, beccaj
_____________________